Responsible tourism is tourism which: minimizes negative social, economic and environmental impacts. Kapama Private Game Reserve takes our responsibility to our environment, local communities, our guests, partners and our staff family very seriously. We constantly review our policies and strive to make improvements wherever possible.
- To at all times put people and our planet first, in all interactions with guests, partners, businesses, as well as with our staff
- To increase the positive impact of tourism on the Greater Kruger area
- To create truly ethical, memorable and exceptional travel experiences for our guests so that leave Kapama with a changed travel expectation
SUPPORTING LOCAL COMPANIES
- We have a policy of always using local suppliers wherever we can, to bring as much income to the local area as possible
- We make use of small, owner-managed companies that are based in and around the Hoedspruit and surrounding area
- We also personally engage with these companies to establish where and how the communities they visit have been supported by their business
IMPACT ON OUR ENVIRONMENT
Single-use plastic: As a team, we’re constantly finding ways and working hard to eliminate plastics in our day-today-operations, particularly single-use plastics. This includes removing the use of plastic straws, removing single-use amenities in all the rooms and only using refill containers. We buy fresh produce like loose fruit and vegetables directly from the local farmers which are plastic-free, thereby reducing the amount of pre-packaging. Our on-site water recycling plant allows each Lodge to significantly reduce the number of plastic water bottles consumed. Not only have we removed plastic water bottles from rooms but in the dining halls as well. By supplying glass bottles of water that are filled from our water recycling plant we have reduced the number of plastic water bottles by over 10,000 a month . All our lunch packs are served in bio-degradable and environmentally friendly containers.
Recycling and composting: We recycle as many materials as possible including paper, glass, cardboard, cans, plastic.
Energy use: We make use of energy-saving light bulbs and our villas with private pools are heated via solar panels
Future Projects: Projects are in place to get Kapama River Lodge, our biggest Lodge close to 80% off the electricity grid with the use of solar panels by the end of 2021